Friday, January 29, 2010

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...

I had a pretty humorous running experience today that I just have to share. I chalk it up to being a Friday, I guess. All in all it was a great run, 3 miles/28:53. I set another personal best in the mile - 9:36 - more on this later...

The typical ironic things didn't happen today - the things that sometimes go wrong for me on running days...forgotten towel, dead ipod, freakish man staring at me. No, this time it was all new stuff. First, my "friend" (read: professor who compliments me all the time, but is also creepy) was there and commented that I "still don't look my age". I think he was trying to say more things to me, but I couldn't hear him over my music, luckily. Then, the walkers were there. Now I am a firm believer in just being active - no matter what fitness level you are at, but sometimes the walkers can irk the runners- especially if they get in the way. This happens at LifeCenter all the time. Some woman was on the phone there once, walking on the track! Seriously? Anyways, I digress. These particular walkers are great; they know all the etiquette to follow when someone is passing, etc. But today, I noticed that the man was carrying a man-bag of sorts that just looked out of place. I recently saw, "The Hangover" and all I could think of was "its not a man-bag, its a satchel" and I was cracking up. Turns out the walkers got the last laugh today, however. As I was passing them for what felt like the 85th time I stepped on a duck (you know what I mean). And I'm not talking about a cute little duckling. I'm talking about an all out, large, adult QUACK!!!! I could hear it through my ipod. I sped up and chuckled a bit to myself. Hey, it happens to everyone right. The walkers did not seem phased so maybe my duck remained my secret. We may never know.

So there is the story of my humorous run today. Oh, and by the way, who was the celebrity on my ipod who congratulated me on my personal best today? Tiger Woods. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment