Saturday, September 4, 2010

Enthusiasm vs. Dread

Today's topic at my Weight Watcher's meeting was just right for me. In spite of my great run in 90+ heat the other day, I've been feeling a little unmotivated for my runs lately. Today we talked about activity and how your attitude towards it can really change your experience. Duh. Of course that makes total sense and I know that, but, yet again I needed to hear that message again. I think lately I've been thinking about it with dread and not enthusiasm. I mean, I'm alive! I'm able-bodied and blessed to be able to move! I should celebrate that!

So I took it to the street when I got home. I set my ipod to 5K (goin metric!!) and ran. It was beautiful this morning - breezy and cool with a little sun. I ran it in just over 30 minutes without any walking! This is indeed an accomplishment because lately I've been walking at least a couple of times along the way...probably mostly because of the heat, but also because of attitude. Oh, I also "owned" the hills today. At times I've given in and walked when I've approached hills, but today I won and kept going. A lot of it is really mind over matter, I've discovered. In order to keep that enthusiasm rather than the dread I've developed some phrases/mantras that I repeat to myself as I run. Mostly in my head, but sometimes I say them out loud. Some of my favorites are the following:

"Strong and Steady"
"If not you, who?"
"The more you move, the more you lose" (got this one today!)

And of course there is always the standard pep talk stuff: "You got this", "You are awesome", "You are...insert positive adjective here"

So next time you need an extra push to find your mojo to do your activity...find your own mantra or borrow one of mine. Come on, if not you, who??!!

1 comment:

  1. My daughter said to me, "Guess what, Mom."
    I answered, "What?"
    She told me, "I'm awesome!"
    I agreed. She asked, "Do you know why?"
    I answered, "Because you're Anne!"
    She did a little dance & chant, "That's right. Uh-huh. I'm Anne & I'm awesome."
    So I have awesome Anne & excellent Alex.
    And the old 'I know you are but what am I?' isn't offensive anymore. :)
    You just made me think of that.
    Keep going!! I know you inspire me to keep trying.

    ReplyDelete