Monday, November 22, 2010

A New Discovery

So I stumbled onto something new today...edamame. No, you did not stutter - it is pronounced...ed-a-ma-may.

Before I go any further, let's start off with a quiz.
What is edamame?
A. An ancient religion
B. A hip new baby name for 2011
C. A new drink for the holidays
D. None of the above.

If you answered "D", you are right! Edamame is basically soy beans! I had no idea that you could eat soy as the bean until I found them at Trader Joe's today. But, I soon found out - yes, yes you can! I was very intrigued so I bought a package of pods and made them for dinner. First I had to look up the cooking instructions so I wouldn't screw them up. I rinsed them, boiled them in the pods in a pot of boiling water (salted) for about 5 minutes and then cooled them a tad on a cookie sheet. You kind of just pop the bean in your mouth. They have a really good flavor and of course are very good for you. One serving (about a half cup) is 2 points. Lots of fiber and protein!

Anyway, just had to share my new discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment