Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Pick-a-Little, Talk-a-Little!

So I completed my second session at boot-camp this morning - Check! Great workout! We worked on upper-body and my arms were feeling it already just washing my hair in the shower. Yikes - tomorrow should be interesting! There were only two of us there today. It was a very snowy morning and I think that must have kept the other 6 people that were signed up for the class away today. With only two people we just had one trainer. At first it felt a bit awkward. You cannot hide when there are only two of you!! It was cool though because he spent a lot of time with each of us, encouraging us, but also making sure we had proper form, etc. All-in-all it was an uneventful workout. That is, right up until the end of the hour. Let me explain...

As I mentioned there was only one other participant in the class this morning. This woman was pleasant enough and familiar with the trainer - talking him up a bit before we started. No biggie. But then, I noticed that she was talking THROUGHOUT the workout. Now, I don't mean like snip-its of "you can do it" or "just one more" or something to that effect. I'm talking full-out conversations with the trainer during the workout. Now, let me just say, at first I just let it go, thinking she is filling the silence because she is nervous. But when it continued with questions to the trainer about her workout schedule, etc. I was getting really annoyed! Granted, most of my exercise time is solitary - mostly running. But even if I do a class I'm not there to socialize. I'm there to work hard and concentrate on what I'm doing. Don't get me wrong, I like to hoot and holler like the best of 'em - at the appropriate times in the workout. But in general I just want to concentrate and work hard and leave the chitty-chat for later. I continued to bite my tongue as I listened to this woman prattle on during the hour. Finally, with about 5 minutes left in the class, we were in the middle of a "wall-sit squat" exercise when she was complaining about her stomach and wondering if she should have eaten breakfast before the class. When she asked me if I had eaten breakfast I said, "I think you talk too much." Yes, I said that. It just came out. I was pushed to the brink with chatter woman and lost it. She said, "well, excuse me" and was quiet for the rest of the class (5 minutes). Hallelujah - sweet relief!

Needless to say I did not win any popularity contests with this woman today. I apologized to her after for being rude, but explained that I just need to concentrate. She responded that she would just go to a night boot camp class because "they normally like to have fun during boot camp". So now I'm the fun killer?! Again, I like to have fun just as much as the next boot camper, but if I want to plan my week's activities with a friend, I'd rather just go to lunch. But on the brighter side, perhaps Thursday will be a quieter workout. Here's hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment