Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Hungry Runner

So I recently learned that it is really hard to run when I am hungry. Last Thursday I was scheduled to go on my lunch run. I usually try to time my mid-morning snack for about an hour before my run so I'm not starving. But on Thursday I was ravenous at 10ish so I ate my kashi bar then. It is so weird how some days I'm hungrier than others. By the time noon rolled around I was really hungry, I mean to the point that my tummy was growling, but at this point I had passed the point of being able to eat something and still being able to run and not be ill or get a cramp. So, I had to make a choice - either run hungry or skip it and eat my lunch instead. I made the wise choice, I think and did my run, but it was rough! I was really hungry throughout the entire run and I ended up running very slow that day. But, I did it!!! What is the lesson here? Try to time my snacks better and perhaps make sure to include protein in the snack. Usually the almond kashi bars hold me over pretty well, however. The bigger lesson here? I conquered my hunger and accomplished my run anyway!! Score one for the hungry girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment