Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I am NOT a "jogger"!

I have a beef to share about "running language". I have discovered a disparity between how people name the act of putting one foot in front of the other quickly. I call this act "running".

Here is my short list of evidence to build my case: You run a 5K. You buy running shoes. You subscribe to "Runner's World" magazine. However, recently I've had conversations with people, runners and non-runners alike, who have described this act as "jogging". Now, I take issue with this word. To me, the word "jogging" describes someone who was involved in exercising in the 1980's. Perhaps working out with a Richard Simmons tape (yes, VHS) or even Jane Fonda. Images of leg-warmers, thick sweat bands, big-bad hair, jazzercise, Chrissy Snow from Three's Company, and FlashDance come to mind. Perhaps the worst connotation of "jogging" for me is the feeling that it is not quite a serious activity. You could take it or leave it. You are "just" jogging. Now, I don't mean to suggest that I'm a hard core runner either. I'm not training for a marathon or even a half marathon (yet). However, I refuse to take on the lackadaisical, nonchalant, or "just chillin'" attitude that being a "jogger" suggests. I am very committed and serious about this running business. Now, has anyone seen my hot-pink leg warmers?

No comments:

Post a Comment