Monday, April 5, 2010

Seeing is Believing: My Story

So I sent in my application for the "Weight Watchers Role Model" Contest. Below is my 400-word essay that I wrote for it...

I reticently put the picture on the fridge. It was a beautiful, glossy, 5x7 photograph my mom had printed for me of our family at Christmastime 2008. Along the backdrop of our new church's alter we were a great looking bunch. Great looking, that is, except for that woman in the gray sweater! Who was she?! I stared at the picture in disbelief. I recognized my parents, my sister and family, and of course my husband and two boys. The family Christmas picture was a tradition we had started a few years ago. But as I found the woman in gray again in that picture, for the first time I really did not recognize myself. I looked big. I looked frumpy. That woman in the picture couldn't really be me, I thought. At that moment, I did not feel like the person staring back at me in that picture was the “me” I truly was inside. Looking at my unrecognizable self I had the startling realization that I didn't feel comfortable in my own skin anymore. As tears began to glaze over my eyes and a lump formed in my throat, I realized things needed to change. I needed to change. I had already felt my size 16 pants and XL tops getting too tight, but for me, seeing was definitely believing. This was the moment that prompted me to join Weight Watchers on January 10, 2009. I'm thrilled to say that after losing 46 pounds and 5 dress sizes I achieved my goal weight on November 28, 2009!

My journey has continued to be a challenge for me since achieving my goal weight. Maintaining my weight without the same incentives has been difficult (e.g. the actual losing weight, the compliments, the new clothes and the stickers!). What keeps me going now is helping to motivate others. When people ask me how I've lost the weight, I proudly say “Weight Watchers”! Many people have told me that I have inspired them to make positive changes in their lives. A number of my co-workers have recently joined a WW at-work program! In addition to staying committed to my Weight Watchers meetings (7:30am every Saturday) and running 3 miles 3-4 times a week, I started a blog to track my maintenance/running journey and help to keep myself on track. I'm hoping that this too can inspire others on their journey, as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment