Friday, July 23, 2010

A Bit About Bosu

No, this is not about food. Bosu is not a new kind of cheese or a new brand of dog. It is a new kind of exercise equipment that I used for the first time last night with about a 6 out of 10 success rate, I think. Let me explain...

Zach has a tae kwon do class at Life Center from 6:45pm-7:30pm on Thursdays. My usual pattern is to grab my book and hang out on the steps right outside the class and watch him and his little buddies learn to kick and "fight", as he puts it, much to my dismay. Then, it occured to me last week that there was a group fitness class going on during that same time. Not sure what gave it away - the music, the voice over the mic, or the sweaty people moving around. I began to think that it might make sense to take advantage of that time and actually DO something physical. I had thought about running the track, but that didn't excite me at all - the whole inside running when it is nice out - just can't do it. So, I went and looked in the program booklet to find out more about the class. I didn't really read the description, (why would I do that?) all I read really was that the class started at 6:30pm every Thursday - that was all I needed to know.

Cut to last night. After arriving home from work at approximately 5:56 and scarfing down two bowls of fiber one mini wheats, Zach and I jetted out the door to get to my class on time. We made it with enough time to talk to instructor to find out what equipment I needed. I got myself settled in the back (the newbie position) with my mat, my free weights, my medicine ball, my water and this round bouncy thing that was flat on one side. I was told this was a bosu. Alright then. I was ready, thinking, bring it on! I'm in shape, how tough can this be?! Yeah - it was tough city!! Turns out the class is an advanced bosu class and is made up of cardio and weight work - an interval workout. It was great! I was sweating bigtime - at one point I had to run to the fitness area and grab a towel because I was dripping all over the floor (ya'll know my sweating issues). It was such a good workout! The bosu was kind of hard to balance on - it was sort of used in place of a step that I had used in the past. I tried my best and modified some movements just on the floor if I fell off too much. It was just a great new challenge. The hour was intense and I felt like I had a great workout. Nice alternative to running, I suppose. I'm working on realizing that I can get a workout without a run. So after we both had good classes, Z and I went to meet grandma and grandpa....at Dairy Queen!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment