Saturday, July 10, 2010

Fried Green Tomatoes - not just a movie!

So, I discovered a new food (well, new to me) again this morning that I just had to share with ya'll. Have you tried fried green tomatoes?! So good! Truth be told I had no idea this was an actual food. Before today, my only context for this was the awesome movie by the same name with Kathy Bates (love it!). Last weekend, my hairdresser had mentioned that she loved them so I picked some up the other day at Szalays (again, love that place!) This morning I decided to try them and I was pleasantly surprised. This is how I fixed them. I sliced one green tomato in four thick slices. Dipped them in an eggwhite wash, slightly beaten, and then dipped them each in bread crumbs. I fried them in a griddle lightly sprayed with cooking spray (a few minutes on each side). Then I sprinkled a little parm cheese on them and dipped them in marinara sauce (I had a tomato sauce and pizza sauce mixture cuz that is all I had). SO good! A new summer veggie snack that was quick and yummy! The only thing with points was the bread crumbs, the sauce and the cheese, but I figured it at about 2 points for the entire thing. Very filling! Try it!!!

1 comment:

  1. I ate them once when we lived in Texas and they were great--restaurant. Tried fixing them at hoome and yuck--but I'll try your method...always looking for something new!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete