Wednesday, January 5, 2011

"Signs, Signs, Everywhere There's Signs"

So, I've been thinking seriously about whether or not to commit to running a 1/2 marathon this spring. I think the Cleveland one is in May. Then, in the last 24 hours I've noticed a few signs that seem to be pointing me in the direction that "yes" I should commit to doing it!

First, I had a conversation with a colleague yesterday who mentioned that another colleague is getting a group together to train for the Cleveland marathon. He views running as a very spiritual thing and connects with your relationship to God sorta thing - "running is life" is the mantra. I totally dig that and actually kinda feel the spiritual connection too. Next, I remembered to grab my Women's Running magazine this morning to look at during lunch and it has a big article on the cover about "running your fastest 1/2 marathon". And then the clincher was, guess what they were talking about on my radio station when I was just getting to work this morning? Yes, you guessed it - running a marathon! The female radio personality announced that she is going to train to run a marathon. She has done a couple of 1/2's before, but never a full one. In their conversation, she also mentioned how running is a very spiritual exercise for her. Are you kidding me?!! Okay, God, I get it! I guess I need to just do this once and for all!

I'm nervous a bit, however. It is kinda like what they say about being a writer. In order to be a good writer you have to write...and write...and write. And conquer that blank sheet of paper or computer screen again and again and write...write...and write. That just totally crushes my fantasy about being a writer in a cabin in the woods someplace, wrapped in a warm sweater and slippers, with a fresh cup of hazelnut coffee and classical music playing in the background with a Labrador at my feet. The fact of the matter is that writing is hard work and involves a lot of...writing!!!

The same goes for training for this run. In my head I picture coming across the finish line in slow motion, with a big smile and being greeted by my family and receiving a cool medal. However, what does it take to get there? Lots of running...running...and then running some more. Facing that pavement or that track day after day to run and run and run some more. The bottom line is that it requires a lot of work and discipline. Can I do it??!! Can I get a whoo, whoo people?!! Okay, that is better!!!

2 comments:

  1. whoo whoo!!! Go for it!! The goal is the journey, right, the accomplishment? The more you do, the more you can do... Work hard & you won't need good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll do great! My sisters are both doing the Cleveland one in May also. Get a training plan (many available on the web) and stick to it. (including the rest and cross/training days).

    ReplyDelete