Monday, April 12, 2010

My own route

Today I had the best run of my life. No, seriously, I did! I think I might have said that before, but it is totally true this time. Perfect conditions outside...55 and sunny...just enough wind...I was dressed perfectly right...shorts, long sleeved running shirt with t-shirt over it. I felt so good before, during and after the run. I ran 3.5 miles in 35 minutes flat and my rate per mile was 9:58 according to Pamela (I've named my ipod nano now - Pamela - just this second I have dubbed her "Pamela"). I could have run longer actually if I didn't have the time constraints of my lunch hour.

But, the best thing about my run was my route. It was MY route. And by my route, I mean I made it up myself. I started out following the little post-it that I carried with me that I has directions for a route that I know is 3 miles that I got from a friend. Of course per my normal MO, I made a wrong turn in Albuquerque (thank you Bugs Bunny)...but now I think it was not an accident. Because I just felt like running. I wanted to see where my feet wanted to take me so I let them. Of course after Pamela told me I was at the half-way point I just turned around and ran back. I'm not THAT crazy...and didn't want to have to have my colleagues send out a search party for me. It just felt so good to run where I wanted to run. Very freeing not to have to follow someone else's prescribed route or even my own prescribed route. I liked to make it up as went go along, which in many ways is totally NOT like me in life. I'm a planner. I'm a planner for a living, as a matter of fact. Perhaps that is why I liked NOT following a plan today. I'll have to do this again...but not the same route!!

Hey how about some irony to finish the story! I forgot to pack a towel with me today and didn't realize it until after my run in the locker room. Luckily, I borrowed a hand towel from a friend! What was that about me being a planner?!! Or perhaps this is just another lesson...hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment