Saturday, October 23, 2010

Oh, Those Damn Hills!!


I ran the Project Homeless 5K today and I felt really good about it. It was a really pretty morning and the course was right along the river along the boardwalk. The course was very hilly, but I pushed myself to keep going and I didn't stop to walk at all. That is the good news. At first I was disappointed to see my time of 30:54.64, especially since the last time I ran a 5K last month I had finally broke 30 minutes. But I was talking to some other runners afterwards and they were all commenting on what a tough course it was. Yes, yes it was! So, I was okay with my time. I felt even better when I looked at the results posted on the website this afternoon. One huge advantage of a chip timed race is almost immediate results!!

Here are my stats from today:
I placed 165 out of 282 people (in the bottom half).
I placed 89 out of the 185 women who competed (in the top half - yahoo!)
I placed 10 out of 19 of the women in my age-group (40-45) - dead in middle.

So overall, a good race!!! Save for the pain I now have in my right heel. I can visually see some swelling along the back of my heel - is that the Achilles tendon?? Not sure what I did. My shoes were new earlier this month so it is not that I need new ones. I haven't been pushing it that hard lately. The only thing I can think is that I've been running too many hills or something. Ugh. Those damn hills!! So, I plan to take some aspirin soon and take it easy. There might be more cross training and perhaps a trip to the doctor in my future...we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment