Friday, October 1, 2010

Runnin' with the Boys

So to get out of my funk that I was in yesterday - just one of those days, I guess. Could have been related to hormones - stranger things have happened...But, in order to get out of that I knew a run would probably help. So, after I got home from work I ran to football practice (I think it is about 2 1/2 miles one way). My original plan was to run there and then run back before it got dark. I had actually even planned ahead and asked Mike to bring me some water. Well, after being there for a little while it got a little too dark to run safely (I had nothing reflective on) and I just decided to hop in the "game car" (Go Blackhawks!) and scam a ride home.

I'm glad I stayed. I ended up running a few of the wolverines that they do at the end of practice. For those who don't speak "blackhawk-eese", a wolverine is a 40 yard sprint - twice. So down and back counts as one. They started out at the beginning of the season running like 2 of them. Now, they are up to 9. They run with all their equipment on too. Every time I watch them do it and cheer them on I really want to run too. Usually I don't have my running shoes on and I don't want to look like the fool running with 8 and 9 year olds. Well, last night was my lucky night! I had the shoes, it was just getting a little dark so not every one could really see me and I had just enough gumption to do it. So on the ninth and final wolverine I took off and raced the boys. I egged them on by saying, "come on don't let a girl beat ya!". Too funny! After I completed one I had a new respect for these little dudes who run with all of their equipment on - AFTER already practicing for 2 hours. They sure are tough customers. Before we left Zach wanted to run a couple more without pads. It feels so much easier then, he says. The last one Zach and I ran as a race and while some of the kids took bets that I would win, I'll admit I was beaten by my 8-year-old! But, I made a very close second. Pretty good for this 'ol girl.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you!! See? You clearly get those endorphins I've been seeking...LOL! I envy your dedication & motivation. Wish I could muster it.

    ReplyDelete