Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Sweat Management!

Wed, June 8
Ran 50 minutes outside
Distance: 4.52; Average Pace: 11'04"

So, its hot today! It was 69 degrees this morning at 6am and extremely humid. I'm glad I ran then because I think it is going to be in the 90's today. Yikes! The run was pretty good even in spite of the humidity. I ran in my glasses again. I think I'm going to try to wear my contacts again tomorrow, but I may bring my glasses to work just in case.

As I've shared before I'm a sweaty girl and the summer and humidity just increases the sweat quotient for me. So I've decided I need to develop some strategies for sweat management. Thankfully I am no longer the "angry runner" as I was running on the indoor track so I don't need anger management classes anymore. Phew! But, sweat management is an entirely different issue altogether. So, here are my strategies to manage the mess that is my sweaty body.

1. I've decided that I've run my last run without water. I bought a water belt and there it sits on my dining room table. Perfect place for it, don't you think? I'm going to actually try it on on Friday and see how it works! Yes, I realize this strategy does not directly deal with the management of the sweat, however it can help replenish and hydrate my body during the run!

2. Although I do wear a headband, it really only helps keep my hair out of my sweaty face (and also keeps my glasses on nicely). What I think I need to invest in is actual "sweat bands" for my head and maybe wrists? You know those thick, terry-cloth-esque looking things? I always think about my dad in his younger days using them to play tennis. Yes, that was in the 1970's but whatever. People still sweat today and I demand a management system! The other reason why an actual sweat band would help is because I no longer can use my cotton t-shirts to mop up my brow, as I am now wearing tech shirts most of the time (to avoid the chafing issue). So, that is the plan, Stan. I'm going to be looking so sweet in my headband, sweatband, wristband and glasses. Oh yeah, I expect to be called by Runner's World any day to set up a photo op so I can be the poster child for a new sub-culture of women runners - the sweaty girls! Never let them see you sweat?! Nope, that is poppycock for this chick! Sweat early and often I say!

1 comment:

  1. Lisa, you are too funny--and yes, see how many sweat bands you can get on that slim body of yours! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete