Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Crazy Club

Wed, April 27
Ran for 1 hour and 7 minutes outside at 5:30am
Distance: 6.06 miles; Average Pace: 11'12" (which I take issue with since I did the math - it should be like 11'3"!)

Today's run was pretty great all around. I got up after hitting snooze only once at 5am. I was worried that it was going to be raining as thundershowers were predicted, but luckily and thankfully it was clear and about 61 degrees. So off I went!

The run was surprisingly great from the beginning - after about 5 minutes my legs felt great and I was in the groove. It wore running pants - capri style with an iPod pocket in the back, a short sleeved shirt and of course, my stylish vest. It was a beautiful morning. I heard the birds chirp over my iPod and I saw about 5 deer - so close that I could smell them. They didn't know what to make of me and just stared at me as I ran by. I only got spooked once after Paula Abudul's "Cold Hearted Snake" came on my iPod. (Don't judge!) It was still fairly dark out and I was convinced that I saw and heard a snake on the ground, but no, it was in fact a stick and the hissing noises from the song. Yep, I'm a dope!

I was supposed to run 60 minutes today, but my route was a bit longer to get back home so I just did more. Oh, and no walking! My iPod reminded me at the point when I ran "5 minutes past your goal" and that felt great. I'm sure people driving by me running that early looked at me like I was crazy. That is what I would have said too about a runner running that early or in really bad weather a year ago or even a few months ago. But now, I love it! I understand now what the commitment to a training program really means. I understand now what completing these goals/runs means to me on a physical and mental level. I understand what the little wave of a hand to a fellow runner on your path means. Either that or I have now just joined the crazy club too! If so, that is a membership card that I hope I have forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment