Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Hopeful in Hudson

Wed, May 4
Ran 40 minutes lunch
Distance: 3.63 miles; Average pace: 11'04"

Okay, so I'm officially hurting. After my run today my right calf was really hurting. I've had calf pain basically throughout my training, but this is different. It all started because of the blasted indoor track I just know it! The track is banked up on the outside so the whole time you are running, your outside leg is up higher slightly than the other. What some people do to compensate for this is run halfway one direction and then switch so it is even. I didn't do that because I didn't think it was that big of a deal and also I never want to disturb the walkers that are up there. You know how compassionate I am towards others on the track (ha,ha)! Well, I'll give you one guess as to which calf hurts...yep, the one that was on the outside! I can push one one specific place where it hurts on the inside of my right calf.

Anyways, now the question is what do I do going forward in my training? I am going to run on May 15! That is not debatable! I'm just not sure if and how I should alter the rest of my training to make sure I am prepared enough for the race and at the same time I'm not going to further injure myself. I asked some runner friends today at work about it with mixed feedback. One said to keep going as usual. One said to cut the runs in half and the other said to talk to one of the athletic trainers about it. I'm icing it right now and I plan to try and talk with a trainer tomorrow. The rest of my training schedule looks like this:

Tomorrow-swimming (which I'm thinking is probably okay to still do)
Fri-run 35 min, which I'm intending to skip
Sat- 6 mile run (which I'm now scared to do)

Next week:
Mon- 40 min run
Tues- cross train swim 30 min
Wed- 35 min run
Thurs-cross train swim 30 min
Fri-rest
Sat- run 15 min
Sun- RACE DAY!

I'm being very specific about this in case some of my more experienced runner friends can give me some advice about how to proceed. Any advice would be most welcome!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a runner friend, but I am a friend. I'll be praying for you to get great advice and quick healing of your calf. You have worked incredibly hard for this goal. It will be more than you imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a runner here either, Lisa, but you've worked sooo incredibly hard for this. I would think consulting with a trainer would be the best route now. I wish you the best--and you are the best daughter-in-law--I;m so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies.... I got some good advice from a runner friend....I'm gonna cool it on running for a few days since I've reached my distance goal....I'll swim and maybe walk and then see how that goes.....

    ReplyDelete