Monday, May 9, 2011

Race Week: The Final Countdown!

So, I'm doing the last countdown to the race! Only 6 days to go! I'm finding myself going back and forth between being really excited and confident to nervous and less confident. A common thread underlying all of this is just regular 'ol anxiety or I guess, jitters. I'm keyed up and the fact that the race is a few short days away is always in the back and my mind and coming closer and closer to the front.

I'm also finding myself wanting to organize everything about this coming weekend down to the nth degree. I worry about the weather, but I can't control that. I worry about whether or not I'm ready or if I'm trained enough, but that ship has sailed. So, what can I worry about? Everything else!! Of course, there are some practical things that I need to do or prepare for so out come the lists. What do I do when I'm stressed about something? Yep, start making lists: a list of things to bring, a list of things to do before race day, a list of things to make lists about! Lists are a comfort to me because they help me remember things, first and foremost. Also, I like the feeling that I have when I cross something off the list. Yes, progress! I also just like thinking about what is on the list. I enjoy the actual process of making the list itself. And finally, I think that at its core, I like making and using lists because it helps me feel a little more in control of the situation.

But it is not only lists I like to make. It is also plans. Having a plan, again, makes me feel more in control of the situation. What is the plan? What is the plan for parking? What is the plan for getting there - how do I get there? What time should I leave? What should I remember to bring? When should we go to the Expo? Zachary is running in the kids race the day before so we have to make plans for that day too.

So, I've been checking out the race website to get the right information to make my lists and my plans. While the site is really good and informative there is one thing that is stressful about it. It has a live clock counting down the time to race day. This totally freaks me out! No pressure there!! I guess I don't really like any type of clock that counts things down. It stresses me out! I already know the race is coming, and I don't need to be reminded literally ever second!!

No comments:

Post a Comment