Sunday, May 8, 2011

Simply Thankful

On this Mother's Day evening I find myself being very thankful. As I reflect on my day I realize that this day was wonderful because it was filled with simple pleasures and simple things. It is funny how sometimes I forget that the simple, everyday and ordinary moments of our days, spent with the ones we love, are what our lives are really built on...

For example, my day started with Zach's mother's day gift to me. He gave me a plant he had planted in school in a clay pot that he had painted himself. He was beside himself yesterday when Henry had chewed some of the plant in one of his "running around and looking for anything to chew" fits. And yes, it was on the floor in a bag so fair game for Prince Henry. But, thankfully it was only a few leaves - the flower remained intact! Then he gave me his other gift from school. It is this booklet that describes all kinds of things about me - a description of what I look like (I learned I have green eyes....nope, they are blue...and that my mouth is big...duh!), why he loves me, things we have done together and some other really cute and touching things that I will definitely treasure forever. He was quick to tell me how long it took him to do alllllll that writing!

Then after church I took my mom to lunch and we went to see a movie together. It was so nice to just be us girls and I always love spending time with my mom - no matter what we do.

Then for dinner we had my folks over for burgers and a simple supper. We just enjoyed breaking bread together. We even made it a project of cleaning out my freezer tonight! We just needed to make room and I had helpers!

One of the best parts of my day was going grocery shopping. Yes, I know it might sound strange, but after about my third time asking Zach to go with me, and him declining every time in favor of playing video games instead, Nick asked if he could go. So, off we went to Acme. We had a good time shopping together. We laughed when he knocked the cart into a huge sunscreen display, knocking bottles all over the place and I teased him about "blowing my budget", now that he is home from school, but it felt good to just spend ordinary time together. This topped off with a very sweet and "mushy" card from him for mother's day pretty much made this the best mother's day ever.

Yes, I'm thankful for the simplicity of today's blessings. I hope you are too!

No comments:

Post a Comment