Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Vince, you are my hero!

So its hot. If you live in Northeast Ohio, you might have realized this.

Given that I'm training again and will be running regularly in summer-esque (or apparently Hades-esque after today) weather, I decided to make a trip to Vertical Runner after work to get a water belt (excuse me - fuel belt).

I had hoped to just slide under the radar (I'm always a little intimidated in running stores), go to the back of the store and get my belt and be on my way. No such luck.

A gentlemen approached me and asked if I needed help. Crap, an employee and a real runner-dude is talking to me, I thought.

"No thanks, I'm just looking for a water belt," I said.

"Are you training for a race?" he asked me.

"Yes, for the Akron marathon," I said, rather hesitantly.

"Oh, have you run a half before?", he asked sort of skeptically with concern.

I felt myself starting to stand up straighter as I heard myself say, "yes, I ran the Cleveland half in May and it was great!"

Then, he started asking me some other questions and gave me a card with contact information about a running group. I reluctantly took the card.

He helped me select a water belt and then I said with my new found confidence,
"What else do I need?"

He then pointed me in the right direction for some other things I might need for my training. As I was getting ready to check out he told me that I was a little ahead of the folks in the running group - they were all first time 1/2 or full marathoners and they were in a 6 month training program so their long runs weren't that long yet. He asked me what my time for the half was and I told him - 2:31 and he said, "oh, yeah, you would be perfect for this group." With the words "you " and "perfect" in a sentence directed to me about running, I thought I had indeed escaped Hades and died and gone to heaven instead!

I walked out with the following haul:

One (1) 3-bottle water belt
One (1) container of Glide
One (1) giant container of Blueberry Pomegranate sports drink powder mix
Four (4) different types of energy/protein chews to try
One (1) connection to a cool running group to try and
One (1) boost to my "running self esteem"!

2 comments:

  1. We really like Vince also. He's really knowledgeable and runs a ton. You'll love the body glide if you haven't already used it. BTW - what kind of socks do you run in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own like 6 pair of running socks...three that I got initially from Second Sole and three that I got from Dick's. They are all supposed to do the wicking thing...but I should probably invest in some new at some point.

    ReplyDelete