Friday, February 4, 2011

Dessert for Breakfast?

So, I know I've blogged about oatmeal before, but I just had to share again. I mean, this is heaven in a bowl. The last time I praised this wonderful bowl of warm goodness I was referring to the old fashioned Quaker oats, which are fantastic themselves. I mean, I have never met a hot cereal I did not like - well, except for Cream of Wheat - yuck. However, then I met steel cut oats. OMG. To die for. I make them the long way - in a pot on the stove for 30 long and lonely minutes, but oh, so worth it! I have read that you can also do them in a crockpot overnight, but I have to admit I'm a skeptic about the overnight crockpot thing. So, I wait my 30 long and lonely minutes until my whole grain goodness is sufficiently wonderful. I then dole it out in 4 1/2 cup-ish portions - one for now and three for later in the week. I have to say I actually prefer it after it has been in the fridge a couple of days. It is chewy, thick and just nummy. Then on a morning like today I take it out, heat it up for 1 minute in the microwave. Stir. Add blueberries - a bunch and heat again for about 20 seconds. Stir. Consume with joy. Today I almost felt guilty eating it for breakfast. Is this blueberry pie?? Nope, just my old oatmeal. SO good. So, did I convince any non-warm-cereal-eaters out there yet? Hey, don't take my word for it. Pick up a container at Trader Joe's or Heinen's this weekend. Oh, and skip the blueberry pie at the bakery!

1 comment:

  1. I've also heard that Trader Joes has steel cut oats already portioned/cooked in the frozen section. It might be something good to keep in the freezer at the office. Also, I have read a lot about overnight oats (reg oats not steel cut) with various mix ins including greek yogurt. I haven't tried them yet. I did try chia seeds this week. Added lots of volume and some texture.

    ReplyDelete