Sunday, February 13, 2011

Veganism is looking better and better!

Okay, so I figured I was due for a light blog entry right about now...too much seriousness can get old!! So, let me tell you the story about the turkey breast that wasn't...

I decided to cook a turkey breast in the crock pot today. I had a bought a small breast last weekend and prepped it to put in the crock pot this morning. So far, so good. I followed my Google directions to the letter and got it in by 8am. So, by 5pm it was up to temperature and was ready. I was excited! It smelled like Thanksgiving all day in the kitchen without all the mess. I made mashed potatoes, corn and even gravy for our dinner. My excitement diminished immediately when I cut into the bird. The color was like a tanish-brown-yellow and I knew something was amiss. Oh, it was cooked and everything, but it just didn't look right. Mike ate his pretty quickly (he did say he was starving, however. Plus, he has learned all too often about the negative consequences of making too many critical remarks about my cooking new recipes) and Zach just picked at his. I had a couple bites before finally admitting my defeat.

"What is with this!?", I said. "The color is so gross!!" "Where is the white meat?"

Mike said, "This is like a boneless breast...they take out the breast bone and mix the white and dark meat together".

...And my fork is down. Eeewww...no wonder!!!

Then he adds, "Next time, get a turkey breast with the bone in".

You know, I didn't know I had to have a degree in "meat" or "poultry" to shop correctly. I mean who knew there would be that many choices about turkey breasts. A breast is a breast, right?! Wait...don't answer that.

Let's just say there are no leftovers of that piece of "meat" located anywhere in my fridge or freezer.

Now, where can I find a good tofurkey in Acme???

2 comments:

  1. Must have been grossly grotesque in order to have pitched it out--but I've had to do that a few times in my life....although not with turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stick with the Honeysuckle bone-in breast from Acme. Frozen is best, the "fresh" thawed may have been sitting in case too long.

    ReplyDelete