Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Shroud is Lifted!

Thurs, Feb 17
6:30pm, Spinning Class, Life Center
60 minutes of spinning - biked about 21 miles

So, I was headed to my Bosu class tonight for my cross-training workout, however, I arrived to find that the instructor's child was sick and she could not get a sub. At first I was just going to do the elliptical or something, but then I asked the front desk staff if there was a spinning class going on at all tonight. They said one was starting at 6:30pm - same time as Bosu - it was meant to be. So I went down to the "mystery" room to get my first spinning lesson. I met the instructor and she got my bike all set up for me. She also told me it was "race day" so I didn't have to do everything they were doing. Little did I know then that I would not be able to do what they were doing if my life depended on it!!!

It was pretty interesting. I had a great workout - totally different muscles than running...I can see why it is good for cross training. I did not do the "jumping" that they did. I could not even do the "third position" option that they were doing throughout the races. This is the position in which you are standing on the bike. You know how you did that as s kid going up a hill? I thought it would be the same thing. Not so much. I could do about 3 seconds before having to sit down. I decided just to increase my resistance and just concentrate on increasing my RPM's to what the instructor said. It was a great workout - just different. Oh, and my butt hurt!! I think because I really didn't stand up that much the seat starting getting to me.

The instructor encouraged me to come back and that it takes awhile to build up to all the different positions on the bike. She also said I came for like the hardest workout that they do (race day). Hey, at least I did it! Now, that the mystery has been solved, I'm hoping to make spinning a regular part of my workout somehow.

4 comments:

  1. YAYYYYYY!!!! I'm so excited for you.
    Spinning is great. Once you are hooked you can look at a gel seat ($20 or less) and that would help. and/or SHOES that clip into the bike (more expensive, but worth it if you spin regularly).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats in exploring the unknown in workout! See you tomorrow. Here's to a shift on the scale - although you've accomplished another great internal shift so that's what really matters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever tried Zumba? Wes got me the Wii Fit game last week, and it has been kicking my butt the whole time. It's a great whole-body workout, and since the weather here is going from great to worse this weekend, I'll be glad for the indoor, at home option.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We saw gel seats at ToysRUs and I thought of you. They had one for $15. I'd definitely get one if you plan to spin regularly. I don't use one personally, but only because I have bicycle shorts with padding built in.

    ReplyDelete