Friday, February 25, 2011

The Gift of Today

Fri, Feb 25
9am - Ran 30 minutes on the Indoor Track at LifeCenter
Distance - 2.95 miles; Pace - 10'13"
Racquetball and Basketball fun - about an hour

So today was a gift in a lot of ways. Hudson schools had a snow day (again) so Z was off and, miracle of miracles, John Carroll was actually closed!! Hallelujah, I still can't believe it! I got home at about 10:30pm last night due to late events at work and so I didn't get to bed until about midnight - way beyond by 10pm bedtime that I've come to enjoy (and need in order to get up at 5am). As I went to bed, getting up to run at 5am was not looking promising, especially with the snow in the forecast. But, like I said, I had a snow day! Ahhhh...I got up late (6:30am), had breakfast and coffee and for a hot minute thought of not running today. Relax, I said a hot minute. I quickly shook that off as I called LifeCenter to find out they were indeed open and were holding a racquetball court for me and the Z-man. After I finally convinced him that shorts and sweatpants were a much better option than wearing jeans to work out in, Zach grudgingly shut off the computer, shoved in a bowl of cereal and off we went.

I ran for my 30 minutes - Zach joined me for like a lap and a half. Then after "way too much stretching, Mom", we finally hit the racquetball around for a bit, and then played some hoops. He had to teach me the proper way to shoot that he has learned in gym class and I was a quick study, apparently, as I held my own in our game of "Around the World." It was so much fun! Not only did I insure that I was getting my workout in today, but I also had some physical fun with my dude. Much better than a morning filled with video games, me thinks. Oh, and I have to add that on our way out of LifeCenter the woman at the front desk made a point to tell me that Zach was a very polite little boy (asking for equipment, etc). Music to any Mom's ears.

Our afternoon was lazy, but equally delightful. We picked up some Subway and headed over to spend lunch, and the afternoon as it turned out, with Grandma P. and little Brittany. We watched some lifetime movies, Z played Legos and yes, I even took a nap. Ahhh, what a good day. I hope yours was equally good!

3 comments:

  1. I like that you were able to share the joys of working out with your son unexpectedly and that you fought the ever so slight yet powerful urge to skip it. When I don't feel like doing it I find I need it the most. I have to get better at saying no to the part of me that hates working out. Maybe that Zumba thing the woman mentioned in class today might be the ticket for me. Although being around that many people for more than the WW class...Practice in getting over the introversion thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, so true!! Yes, find something you like to do. And, you don't have to get over your introversion at all! I find that my workout time is just my time...even in a group class. I don't talk to anyone. I'm there for me and only me to WORK IT ON OUT!! I'm not there to socialize and there is nothin' wrong with that! Have an awesome week!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW Congrats on your win at the scales today. It's not that you don't know that you're moving in the right direction, but its always nice as reinforcement! You earned that 2.2!

    ReplyDelete