Saturday, March 5, 2011

Moving forward...

Sat, March 5
Ran 60 minutes (about 6 miles, I think) at the Indoor track at LifeCenter
No iPod, so no stats!

So, lesson learned today...remember to charge your iPod on Friday night so it is ready for the long run the next morning. It was almost out of juice, but I thought it might still last for an hour so I brought it with me...but it wouldn't connect with the sensor for some reason. I went into panic mode for a hot minute, but then I just said "F that" (sorry, but that is literally what I said...I'm kind of a mad runner) and threw it over by my stuff at the gym and ran on. I was nervous to run that far (new distance for me today) without my iPod to distract/motivate and track me. Luckily, it actually wasn't that bad. I decided to run for 60 minutes since I'm usually at around a 10-minute per mile pace. I actually chatted with a few people along the way so that was fun. Plus I could hear the music from the two classes that were going on during my run...in addition to the spinning class music. There is enough activity to distract me on Saturday mornings, so a run sans music was doable. A weekday morning at 5:30am would have been a different story, however!!

My legs were sore during the run, but I pushed through and now they are okay. I ate a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter from Panera and a cup of coffee, pre-run...about an hour before. After the run I just had water and banana. I never want to eat that much right away after a run...mostly just want to drink water.

So now I'm just looking forward to tomorrow's rest!!

1 comment:

  1. congrats! Are you going to do a 10K sometime before the half?

    BTW, I think it is normal to feel sore when you're upping your activity level. I tend to stretch for about a half hour after a long run or hike. I know it seems like overkill but that's what the PT had recommended when I was doing physical therapy. I mostly focus on the hip abductors, hip flexors, hamstrings, quads, calves, and piroformis. I also have a foam roller for my IT band. I hold each stretch for about a minute or two. It feels really really good and I always feel less tight and sore. I feel way tighter when I half-ass my stretching! :)

    ReplyDelete