Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Warm Up

Warm-up. So, why do they call it that? Is it because we are supposed to be wearing cute little color-coordinated "warm-up" clothes circa 1985 when we work out? I always picture the character Chrissy Snow from the old TV show, Three's Company, when I think of warm-ups. Weirdly enough, Eva Longoria seems to rock her little sweat suits rather well on Desperate Housewives. Curious. But, I digress.

I've noticed a trend lately about warming-up. Whether I'm getting ready to run or do boot camp class, the very beginning is the hardest. I guess this could probably be because we are actually "warming-up" our muscles and that takes more effort right out of the gate. Or maybe, at least for me, it is because I'm usually not totally awake yet that early! Not sure. It doesn't matter what the warm-up activity is. It equally sucks - maybe even if it was bear crawls! Usually, after about 10 minutes or so I'm in the groove and feeling good about the workout and life goes on.

But, I got to thinking about this whole warm-up thing. I think this same thing happens in life. Any new situation, new task, new relationship, new anything I struggle with at first. I feel stretched, not really into it, doubting why I even showed up to begin with. However, if I stick with it long enough I usually get more comfortable, learn some new things, or make a new friend. It is just human nature, I suppose. If we gave up trying new things before the tough "warm-up" is over, we would miss out on so much. So true, so true. It just struck me as an ah-ha for the day and I thought I'd share. Now, put on some leg warmers and let me see some jumping jacks!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment