Monday, March 28, 2011

Runners with Horns??

Mon, March 28 - Beginning week 8
9:30am - ran 40 minutes on the indoor track at Life Center
Distance: 3.87 miles; Pace: 10'23"

I was able to go to the gym a bit later today bit today as I had the morning off. So it is not surprising that there was quite a different crowd at the gym today at 9:30am than I normally see at 5:30am! There were quite a few walkers, and a lot of traffic in between group exercise classes to deal with.

Now, I know I have commented on walkers before...walkers with coffee, walkers on cell phones, but today I want to address the oblivious walker. And again, my disclaimer holds true...I think runners and walkers can co-exist as long as we observe some basic rules. For example, when a runner is coming up behind you, make sure to make some room for he/she to pass. This is usually not a problem, but today it really was! There were a number of twosomes walking (and talking) together and they were completely oblivious to the fact that I was coming up behind them. I guess the fact that I had passed them about 15 other times didn't register. I actually had to "man-handle" one older gentleman in order to basically stop myself from running into him by steadying myself with my hands on his shoulders. Another couple never quite got it and I had to just guess which side to pass on each time around. Further there were a number of ladies from the group exercise class who just stood in the middle of the track on their way to get hand weights or other equipment. They had absolutely no idea (or acted that way) that I was coming apparently. I mean am I that stealthy of a runner that I can sneak up on people without them knowing?? It's not even like these people are even wearing iPods. I mean do I have to buy a horn to wear and honk as I'm coming up on unsuspecting lifecenter goers? Maybe a bell like on a bicycle? Oh I know, maybe I should attach a whistle to my headband that makes a noise similar to those that warn deer of approaching traffic to avoid collisions. I mean, what is it going to take?! I've got it! Maybe I should just call or text the walkers on their phones to let them know I'm coming up behind them! Today I actually saw a "lifter" talking on the phone while lifting, simultaneously. Seriously? I have a message for him..."dude, leave ur phone in ur lockr"!!

No comments:

Post a Comment