Wednesday, March 2, 2011

New shoes or no new shoes, that is the question...

Wed, March 2
5:45am, Indoor track at LifeCenter
Ran 40 minutes; Distance: 3.91 miles; Pace: 10'15"

Okay, I'm not gonna lie - this morning was rough. I felt really slow and my lower legs were sore (muscles) almost immediately when I started today. I'm thinking I might need new shoes, but I'm not sure. This current pair I got in October so technically I'd be ready for a new pair (I think I usually do every 5 to 6 months), but between Oct and beginning of January I was not running consistently. My plan is not to use this pair for the race in May, but timing wise I'm just not sure when to get them. I want to get them in enough time to break them in well before the race, but not too much time that they are not any good for May 15. I def don't want to have "new" shoes for the race...that I know is a "no-no". At the same time, I don't want to run with shoes now that are past their prime like these are starting to feel. Oh, the dilemma.

On a different note, I think I want to explore taking pills to replace my electrolytes. I'm wondering if that could be contributing to my leg soreness.

3 comments:

  1. http://running.about.com/od/runningshoereviews/tp/replacerunningshoes.htm

    http://running.about.com/od/shoesapparelandgear/f/replaceshoes.htm

    Lisa - read these articles. My personal suggestion is to use your current shoes for everyday wear (walking the dog, shopping etc). Buy 2 new pairs of shoes. Run in both of them a couple of times and then make one your regular shoes for running/exercise. Use the other pair once a week. When you look forward to the day you use the "once a week" pair because they feel better, it's time for another pair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also going to recommend getting two shoes - that way they're both broken in but not worn out by the time you run your race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks ladies - i'm now the proud owner of two new pairs...and a racing belt to boot!!

    ReplyDelete