Saturday, March 19, 2011

My Little Trainer

Sat, March 19
11:30am - Ran 5 miles on the indoor track at Life Center
Time: 54'13"; Pace: 10'49" (so slow!!)

So plans changed today, but we made the best of it! Since I ran later in the day yesterday, my plan was to run later in the day today, before dinner. However, since my hubby was busy helping my parents with a project this morning, Zach and I were on our own. Zach asked me about climbing the rock wall at Life Center so I called to at like 11:15am and found out the supervised wall climb time was from 10am - 12noon. Ugh. I wasn't sure how the run would be since my legs were still sore from yesterday, but I wanted Z to have some climb time so...we quickly changed and went!

As it turned out he had time to climb only once, but got all the way to the top and then hung out and watched some other kids. Meanwhile I was in hell on the track. My legs felt so sore and weak throughout. I kept telling myself the endorphins would kick in anytime, but no such luck. I was determined to push through, but I wasn't enjoying any of it to be truthful.

Thankfully, I had my little trainer there with me. I had about 15 minutes more to go and I asked (okay begged) Zach to run with me. I told him I was really struggling and I needed help for the last 15 minutes. That's all he needed. He started running along side me and told me that when we got to the last 400 meters he wanted me to really start running. I told him that I already was running, but he wouldn't have it. He said, "No, I want you to step it up a bit - really push it, Mom." Man, who needs Jillian Michaels when I have my little trainer!!

So, when the iPod voice announced 400 meters to go, Zach encouraged me (read: yelled at me) to push it...and I did! We both ran faster for the rest of the run. It really helped me to have him run with me and then push me to go faster. I'm not sure I could have finished without him!

After my stretching, he told me he wanted me to do the plank for 2 minutes. What?! I usually do it for 1 minute, take a break and then do it for another minute. But again, he wasn't having my excuses. So, down I went in the plank position and don't you know I held it for 2 minutes while he timed me!!

We ended up having a great time, even though the workout sucked eggs. So, I treated my little trainer to lunch at Panera. Hey, its the least I can do since he works for free!!

3 comments:

  1. awesome! 2 min is my plank goal... yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure don't know what a "plank" is, but it must be hard--and that is quite a little trainer dude you have there! Congrats to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's hilarious. I'm glad you got through your workout!

    ReplyDelete